- Strict vegetarianism; the practice of eating neither meat nor other animal products, such as fish, milk and milk products, eggs, and honey.
- A way of life which strictly avoids use of any kind of animal products and services that are based on exploitation of living animals.
1989 Jan, Victoria Moran, “Veganism: the Ethics, the Philosophy, the Diet”, in Vegetarian Times, number 137, page 50:
- Besides being a dietary choice, veganism is a challenging and powerful lifestyle
2000, Joanne Stepaniak; Virginia Messina, The vegan sourcebook, page 161:
- The purpose of veganism is to create a more just and compassionate society
2001, Kristine M. Krapp, The Gale encyclopedia of nursing & allied health, page 2549:
- A vegan lifestyle seeks to promote awareness, compassion, and peace. Veganism is an ethical system as well as a diet.
2002 September 14, “Judge rules against vegan suit Practitioners may not claim religious ...”, in San Francisco Chronicle:
- The absence of religious ceremonies, teachers or leaders, holidays and other conventions was further evidence that Friedman's veganism is "a moral and secular, rather than religious, philosophy," Turner said.
2007, Tzachi Zamir, Ethics and the beast: a speciesist argument for animal liberation, page 106:
- Veganism is a position according to which people ought to be vegans both now and in an ideal state.
2007, Marti Kheel, Nature ethics: an ecofeminist perspective, page 233:
- My additional desire is that ecofeminists will embrace veganism as an important means for reducing that suffering
2008, Gabriel Cousens; John Robbins, Creating Peace by Being Peace: The Essene Sevenfold Path, page 62:
- The next step is ethical veganism. This is not veganism because it is good for your health (and it is good for your health) or because it protects the envirinment (and it does protect the environment), but from a state of compassion.
2009 April 8, “You're a Vegan but Should Your PET Be Too?”, in ABC News:
- Like many vegans, Moore said she chose her diet because she cares deeply about animals and wanted to "live [her] ethics." For her, extending veganism to her cats supports that choice and also helps reduce her environmental footprint.
Eating neither meat nor other animal products