you know what they say
- Used to introduce, or alluding to, an apt adage
- 2011 January 30, Sherry Jones, “Opinion: What I Saw In Egypt”, in AOL News:
- You know what they say about fish and company. After three days, you start to stink. -- but after three decades of Hosni Mubarak, the stench has become unbearable.
- 2007, Katherine D. Bennett, Forever One
- You know what they say about men with big feet, don't ya?" A man in back smirked at me. I really didn't know what to say. I had heard the saying about men with big feet were supposed to be well hung, but I had no idea what would happen if I said something.