From Genua, as the city was known by the ancient Ligurians; probably from Ligurian word for "knee", from Proto-Indo-European *genu, knee, i.e., angle, from its geographical position, thus akin to Geneva.
- (UK) IPA: /ˈdʒɛn.əʊ.ə/, /dʒɛnˈəʊ.ə/, X-SAMPA: /"dZEn.@U.@/, /dZEn"@U.@/
- (US) IPA: /ˈdʒɛn.ou.ə/, /dʒɛnˈou.ə/, X-SAMPA: /"dzEn.oU.@/, /dZEn"oU.@/
The pronunciations with the stress on the second syllable are considered nonstandard.
- A province of Liguria, Italy.
- A city and the capital of the province of Genoa, and also the capital of Liguria.
- A placename.
- Wikipedia article on Genoa, the Italian city
- Wikipedia disambiguation page on the places called Genoa in the US