Last modified on 15 August 2013, at 14:37
fat + finger, the implication being that a person who fat-fingers does so because his or her fingers are too fat to strike a key without accidentally simultaneously striking a neighboring key.
fat-finger (third-person singular simple present fat-fingers, present participle fat-fingering, simple past and past participle fat-fingered)
- (transitive, informal) To make errors in typing on a keyboard or keypad by accidentally striking more than one key simultaneously with one finger.
- 1995 September 8, “US West software update disconnects online users”, Minneapolis Star-Tribune:
- Another Sprint employee speculated that someone might have fatfingered the keyboard.
- 2008 August 24, “DNS: Patched but not totally fixed”, TechRepublic:
- However the other day I fatfingered a web request and got a Charter Communicationsnot found result page
- 2010 May 06, Jennie Runevitch, “Source of stocks' plunge investigated”, wthr.com, Indianapolis:
- "Evidently, someone said they 'fat-fingered' a trade, meaning they accidentally put it in for billions instead of millions," Snyder said.