- (RP) IPA: /mɪsˈnəʊmə/, X-SAMPA: /mIs"n@Um@/
- (US) IPA: /mɪsˈnoʊmɚ/, X-SAMPA: /mIs"noUm@`/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊmə(r)
misnomer (plural misnomers)
- A use of a term that is misleading; a misname.
- Calling it a driveway is a bit of a misnomer, since you don't drive on it, you park on it.
- A term that is misleading.
- Chinese checkers is a misnomer since the game has nothing to do with China.
- A term whose sense in common usage conflicts with a technical sense.
- It's a misnomer that engineers can't write.
a use of term that is misleading
a term that is misleading
a term whose sense in common usage conflicts with a technical sense
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked