See also Nemesis
From the Greek goddess of retribution Nemesis.
- IPA: /ˈnɛməsɪs/
nemesis (plural nemeses)
- (chiefly North America) An archenemy
- "Batman is in constant conflict with his nemesis, The Joker."
- (chiefly non-North American usage) A person or character who specifically brings about the downfall of another person or character
- The principle of retributive justice.
- (usually singular, formal) A punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided.
- The polar opposite of a character.
- A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent.
archenemy — see archenemy
punishment or defeat that is deserved and cannot be avoided
righteous infliction or retribution
nemesis (genitive nemesis); f, third declension