prostration (plural prostrations)
- The act or condition of prostrating (lying flat) oneself, as a sign of humility.
- A part of the ordination of Catholic and Orthodox priests.
- The ordination ceremony includes a variety of rituals, rich in meaning and history, e.g., the prostration, laying on of hands, anointing of hands, giving of the chalice and paten, and sign of peace. — Diocese of Rochester, NY
- Being laid face down (prone).
- The condition of being prostrated, as from heat.
- A reverential bow performed in Middle Eastern cultures.
- Outside of ordination, prostration as a sign of humility has never been part of the Western tradition, but was present in the Middle-Eastern and Asian traditions.
- heat prostration