- (transitive) To procrastinate
- Don't put off your homework to the last minute.
- Don't put your homework off to the last minute.
- Don't put it off to the last minute.
- Don't put it off.
- (transitive) to delay (a task, event, or deadline)
- The storm put off the game by a week.
- The storm put the game off by a week.
- (transitive) to offend, repulse, or frighten
- Almost drowning put him off swimming.
- The object in all senses can come before or after the particle, except that personal pronouns nearly always precede the particle.
- offended, repulsed
- The guest was quite put off by an odor.
- daunted or fazed
- All but the most dedicated were put off by the huge task.