From Latin rūgōsus "wrinkled"
- Having rugae or wrinkles, creases, ridges, or corrugation.
- (figuratively, rare) Rugged, rough, unrefined.
- (botany) Having a rough, wrinkled surface; Parasynthetic, e.g. rugose-veined or rugose-leaved.
- (paleontology) Describing a fossil coral of the extinct order Rugosa (also called Tetracoralla), this order has horn-shaped corals with surfaces covered with ridges.
- (entomology) Combined another adjective, for example, rugose-reticulate or rugose-punctate.
rugose (plural rugoses)
- Compound form: rugose mosaic. One of a few mosaic diseases identified by a marked wrinkling of the leaves and greater chlorosis and dwarfing compared with other mosaics. Rugose mosaics is most commonly seen with potatoes.