- A word with the same meaning as another formed by removing one or more of the syllables of the longer word, and considered a word in its own right rather than an abbreviation.
- "Tux" is a short form of "tuxedo".
- "Rob" is a short form of "Robert".
- (grammar) Particularly in Slavonic languages, a shortened form of the adjective, used predicatively.
- (word formed by removing syllables from another): clipped form, clipping, shortening
- (shortened form of an adjective, used predicatively):
word formed by removing syllables from another
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language