skyrocket (plural skyrockets)
- A type of firework that uses a solid rocket motor to rise quickly into the sky where it emits a variety of effects such as stars, bangs, crackles, etc.
- (by extension) A rebuke, a scolding.
- (rhyming slang) Pocket.
firework using solid rocket motor and emitting various effects
(rhyming slang) pocket
- To increase suddenly and extremely; to shoot up; to surge or spike.
2013 March 1, David S. Senchina, “Athletics and Herbal Supplements”, American Scientist, volume 101, number 2, page 134:
- Athletes' use of herbal supplements has skyrocketed in the past two decades. At the top of the list of popular herbs are echinacea and ginseng, whereas garlic, St. John's wort, soybean, ephedra and others are also surging in popularity or have been historically prevalent.
- The shortage caused prices to skyrocket.
to increase suddenly and extremely