social engineering (uncountable)
- (sociology) Use of numerical data to inform social programs.
- Using social engineering, the new cardinal has efficiently re-arranged the Church's outreach.
- (political science) Use of propaganda by a government to sway perceptions and attitudes of its own citizenry.
- "This is Your Brain on Drugs" was a humorous failure at social engineering.
- (computer security) The practice of tricking a user into giving, or giving access to, sensitive information, thereby bypassing most or all protection.
- After our hacking attempts failed, we tried social engineering, walking into the building and claiming we had to do some urgent work in the server room.
practice of tricking a user