- (UK) IPA: /ˌsɪm.baɪˈɒt.ɪk/, /ˌsɪm.biˈɒt.ɪk/
- (US) IPA: /ˌsɪm.baɪˈɑt.ɪk/, /ˌsɪm.biˈɑt.ɪk/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒtɪk
symbiotic (not comparable)
- (biology) Of, or relating to symbiosis; living together.
- A lichen is a fungus with symbiotic algae among its cells.
- Of a relationship with mutual benefit between two individuals or organisms.
Although the biologic meaning of symbiotic strictly refers to "living together", regardless of the nature of the relationship, in casual speech the word typically implies a beneficial relationship.
- (with mutual benefit): mutualistic
symbiotic (plural symbiotics)