See etymology of "to temper".
Audio (US) (file)
temperance (plural temperances)
- Habitual moderation in regard to the indulgence of the natural appetites and passions; restrained or moderate indulgence; moderation; as, temperance in eating and drinking; temperance in the indulgence of joy or mirth; specifically, moderation, and sometimes abstinence, in respect to using intoxicating liquors.
- Moderation of passion; patience; calmness; sedateness.
- One of the seven heavenly virtues.
- (obsolete) State with regard to heat or cold; temperature.
- (tarot) temperance; the fourteenth trump or major arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks.
terms derived from the noun temperance
moderation of passion
one of seven virtues
state with regard to heat or cold — see temperature
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
Read in another language
This page is available in 13 languages