Cognate with Swedish tomte
- (folklore) A miniature mythical humanoid creature believed to live in the forests and in or near people's dwellings, similar to an elf or gnome.
- An elf (Santa's helper).
- A fool (person with poor judgment or little intelligence).
Declension of tonttu (type valo)
- (humanoid in folklore): haltija
- (Santa's helper): joulutonttu
- (fool): hölmö, höntti, pöhkö, pösilö, tomppeli, toope
In the folklore the elves were often named according to their habitat. At least the following exist:
Read in another language
This page is available in 5 languages