See also: African American
- (of a person) American and black.
- (nonstandard, US, of a person) Black.
- Of or pertaining to the culture of African-American people.
- This term is somewhat formal, and frequently seen as a politically correct alternative to black.
- Aside from black and of color, most other synonyms are dated, and likely to be considered offensive in the United States.
- This term is not used for Americans of North African descent whose skin is not black, such as Berbers or Egyptians, nor is it used for white South Africans. It is specifically used to refer to the group of people who have descended from the trans-Atlantic slave trade and have resided in the United States for centuries but is sometimes used to refer to Afro-Caribbeans, more recent African immigrants, or atypically to any black person.
- (American and black): Afro-American
- (black): black, of color (attributive only), Negro (dated), colored (dated)
American and black
- This term is somewhat formal, and frequently seen as a politically correct alternative to black person.
- Aside from black person and person of color, most other synonyms are dated, and likely to be considered offensive.
- (American and black person): Afro-American
- (black person): black (person), person of color, Negro (dated), colored (dated), nigger (highly offensive), darky (highly offensive, archaic), Afro-Usonian (rare)
A black American