- Rhymes: -ʌnəl
- (rail transport, informal) Short for .
- 1960 March, “Talking of Trains: London-Paris in four hours”, in Trains Illustrated, page 134:
- Sir Brian Robertson, Chairman of the B.T.C., told a London audience in January that he would not be surprised if a Channel tunnel for rail traffic, equipped with special wagons to carry road vehicles, were recommended by the study group which has been re-assessing the feasibility of the "Chunnel". (This was prophetic, it actually happened)
- 1969, Vladimir Nabokov, Ada or Ardor: A Family Chronicle
- Rumors, carefully and cleverly circulated by Mascodagama’s friends, diverted speculations toward his being a mysterious visitor from beyond the Golden Curtain, particularly since at least half-a-dozen members of a large Good-will Circus Company that had come from Tartary just then […] had already defected between France and England, somewhere in the newly constructed ‘Chunnel.’