Donetsk People's Republic
Calque of Russian Доне́цкая Наро́дная Респу́блика (Donéckaja Naródnaja Respúblika) and/or Ukrainian Донецька народна республіка (Donecʹka narodna respublika).
- A partially-recognized secessionist state proclaimed in Donechchyna, Ukraine, on the 7th of April, 2014; it claims to be the successor state of the 1918 Donetsk–Krivoy Rog Soviet Republic and is one of two members of the Confederation of Novorossiya.
- 2014 April 7, Stefan Wolff; Tatyana Malyarenko, “Ukraine veers closer to collapse as activists in Donetsk proclaim ‘people’s republic’”, in The Conversation:
- Ukraine appears to be heading towards another crisis. Protests in the eastern cities of Kharkiv, Luhansk and Donetsk have turned violent and pro-Russian protesters occupied government buildings, calling for a referendum on independence. In Donetsk, in an eerie echo of events in Crimea, separatists went one step further and have now proclaimed their own independent Donetsk People’s Republic and asked Russia for support.
- 2015 February 7, Tom Parfitt, “Ukraine crisis: No breakthrough in talks between Hollande, Merkel and Putin”, in The Daily Telegraph:
- Meanwhile, members of parliament in the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic in eastern Ukraine passed a resolution on Friday saying the territory was the legitimate successor to the Donetsk–Krivoy Rog Republic, a short-lived independent territory founded in 1918 by a close associate of Joseph Stalin.
- 2015 April 10th, Interfax-Ukraine, “Russian-supported militants guarantee safety of Malaysian criminologists at Boeing crash site” in the Kyiv Post:
- The Defense Ministry of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic will guarantee the safety of the Malaysian criminologists scheduled to work at the Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 crash site.
- Donetsk People’s Republic on Wikipedia.Wikipedia