From the names of the eponymous characters in William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet.
Romeo and Juliet couple (plural Romeo and Juliet couples)
- A couple who have married without their parents' consent.
- By analogy with the two Shakespearean characters, a couple consisting of one member from each of two opposing families, parties, or countries.
- 1988, Dugan Romano, Intercultural marriage: promises and pitfalls
- There are, for example, the Romeo and Juliet couples, who come from warring or enemy nations and escape to a neutral third country...
- 1997, Lucia Nevai, Normal: stories
- The incidence there was especially high among Indian and Pakistani teens, Romeo-and-Juliet couples.