- present participle and gerund of
- Many have been abandoning their homes due to the violence. (progressive)
- Their abandoning their homes means no tax revenues for the county. (gerund)
- An abandoning husband can be a precursor to bankruptcy. (participial adjective)
abandoning (plural abandonings)
- An act in which something or someone is abandoned; abandonment, neglect
- 1842, Richard Oastler, The Fleet Papers, volume 2, page 306:
- Their sensuality— […] —their universal and insatiable lustings, and disgraceful abandonings of their unhappy victims— […] may not be credited by those who have not proof of such crimes.