ball-playing (not comparable)
- (soccer) Focused on attacking and progressing down the field.
2011 March 2, Chris Whyatt, “Arsenal 5 - 0 Leyton Orient”, in BBC:
- Irish debutant Conor Henderson - another ball-playing midfielder - probed for a gap through the back-line and the 19-year-old's deflected pass was pounced on by Tomas Rosicky, who sped to the byeline to clip a square ball through the legs of Charlie Daniels across the box.
- 2014, Neil Collins, Make Us Dream: A Fan's View of the 2013/14 Season, Lulu.com (ISBN 9781291940701), page 290
- And despite his terrific form, it was always going to be Sterling making way especially against a ball-playing team away from home when we'd have to absorb a lot of pressure.
- 2014, Anon,, The Secret Footballer's Guide to the Modern Game: Tips and Tactics from the Ultimate Insider, Faber & Faber (ISBN 9781783350636)
- Barcelona have recognised that a ball-playing midfielder is a more effective centre-half than a John Terry-style centre-half given they rarely encounter an attacking threat that warrants a traditional back four.