See also: Bardolator
- (General American) IPA(key): /bɑɹˈdɑlətɚ/
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /bɑːˈdɒlətə/
- Hyphenation: bar‧dol‧a‧tor
bardolator (plural bardolators)
- (usually pejorative) One who loves or worships the works of William Shakespeare.
1991, Samuel Schoenbaum, Shakespeare's Lives, →ISBN, page 134:
- Was Williams enjoying a philistine practical joke at the expense of an intrusive antiquary and transparently naive bardolator?
2012, William Greenslade, “Shakespeare and politics”, in Gail Marshall, editor, Shakespeare in the Nineteenth Century, Cambridge University Press, →ISBN, page 242:
- […] such rhetorical elision drew attention less to Aveling's literary and political insight than to his dubious borrowing of the all too available cloak of sentimentality in which Shakespeare was prone to be dressed by bardolators of the Marie Corelli school.