chieftain + -ship
chieftainship (countable and uncountable, plural chieftainships)
- (uncountable) The state of being a chieftain
- (countable) The area ruled by a chieftain
- 1852 Commission to Inquire into the Past and Present State of the Kafirs
- Shortly after the death of his father, Chaka obtained the chieftainship of the Zulu nation, through the influence of his patron.
- 1847 Henry Rowe Schoolcraft - The Red Race of America
- They exist in chieftainships, each head of which has his own local jurisdiction, civil and criminal.