comebacker (plural comebackers)
- (baseball) A batted ball that travels toward the pitcher.
- It's a comebacker past second base for a single.
- The pitcher fields the comebacker and throws it to first for the out.
- Hendricks was only able to throw 52 pitches, surrendering two runs in 3.2 innings before being forced out of action when Angel Pagan's comebacker hit his right forearm.
- 2007 August 29, Ben Shpigel, “Two Hits, One Short and One Far, Beat the Mets”, in New York Times:
- The next hitter, Jayson Werth, reached on a broken-bat infield single, and Greg Dobbs walked to load the bases, but Heilman induced a comebacker from Chris Coste to end the rally.