comebacker (plural comebackers)
- (baseball) A batted ball that travels toward the pitcher.
- It's a comebacker past second base for a single.
- The pitcher fields the comebacker and throws it to first for the out.
- Hendricks was only able to throw 52 pitches, surrendering two runs in 3.2 innings before being forced out of action when Angel Pagan's comebacker hit his right forearm.
2007 August 29, Ben Shpigel, “Two Hits, One Short and One Far, Beat the Mets”, in New York Times:
- The next hitter, Jayson Werth, reached on a broken-bat infield single, and Greg Dobbs walked to load the bases, but Heilman induced a comebacker from Chris Coste to end the rally.