comebacker (plural comebackers)
- (baseball) A pop fly that falls behind home plate, typically caught by the catcher for an out
2007 August 29, Ben Shpigel, “Two Hits, One Short and One Far, Beat the Mets”, in New York Times:
- The next hitter, Jayson Werth, reached on a broken-bat infield single, and Greg Dobbs walked to load the bases, but Heilman induced a comebacker from Chris Coste to end the rally.
- (baseball) A hard-hit batted ball that travels toward the mound, or between the shortstop and second baseman.
- It's a combacker past second base for a single.
- (baseball) A batted ball that is hit toward the pitcher.
- The pitcher fields the comebacker and throws it to first for the out.