- Rhymes: -æstɪk
- Of or relating to an encomiast.
- Bestowing praise; eulogistic; laudatory.
- an encomiastic address or discourse
- 2001, Phiroze Vasunia, The Gift of the Nile: Hellenizing Egypt from Aeschylus to Alexander, Berkeley, Calif.: University of California Press, →ISBN, page 193:
- As Philodemus indicated in antiquity, encomia of Busiris [by Isocrates] belong to this category of "paradoxical" or "adoxographic" treatises, which flourished in nearly all periods of ancient Greek literature. These were speeches written in the encomiastic style on subjects that were immediately recognizable to ancient audiences as vile, trivial, ridiculous, or otherwise unsuited to praise.
encomiastic (plural encomiastics)