female genital mutilation
- The complete amputation or partial cutting of the external female genitalia. [from 20th c.]
- Any mutilation of the female genitals done for non-medical reasons, such as the infliction of abrasion, burns (chemical or cauterizing), or cuts or slits, or amputation or piercing. [from 21st c.]
the complete amputation or partial cutting of the external female genitalia
- Eliminating Female Genital Mutilation, a 1995 report by the WHO:
- The WHO/UNICEF/UNFPA Joint Statement classiﬁed female genital mutilation into four types [...]
- Type IV: All other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, for example: pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterization.
- Insertion of harmful substances can be deﬁned as a form of genital mutilation [...]