fisking (plural fiskings)
- A rebuttal to an article or blog made by quoting its content in sections and refuting each section individually.
- 2004, Barbara O'Brien, Blogging America: Political Discourse in a Digital Nation, page 44:
- By 2004 the word fisking had broken its tether from the topic of war and was being used to mean any detailed analysis of another's speech and writing.
- 2006, Peter Wood, A Bee in the Mouth: Anger in America Now, page 246:
- As Linda Seebach put it, fisking is "line by line exegesis of idiocy," named after "journalist Robert Fisk, who often deserves it." Fisking is now a widely practiced technique.
- (in sports) to wait around the opponent's goal waiting for a pass