- The process of shaping by heating and hammering.
- 1868, Francis Herbert Joynson, The Metals Used in Construction: Iron, Steel, Bessemer Metal, page 68:
- […] repeated forgings and workings of wrought-iron […]
- (countable) A component that is forged (shaped by heating and hammering).
- 1896, United States, Annual report of the Secretary of War:
- […] one set of 16-inch steel gun forgings […]
- 1944 July and August, “British-Built Austerity 2-10-0 Locomotive”, in Railway Magazine, pages 222, 225:
- Fabrication has been the method used in the construction of many components that would normally be made from steel castings and forgings.
Derived terms edit
Middle English edit
- Alternative form of