habitant (plural habitants)
- (Canada) a member of habitation colony at Stadacona founded by Samuel de Champlain, where Quebec City now lies
- (archaic) Inhabitant, dweller.
habitant m (plural habitants)
- An inhabitant of some place.
- (Quebec, pejorative) Someone who has a poor understanding of social conventions, making them look backward.
- (Quebec, dated or pejorative) Anybody from a rural or recently colonized area.
- (Canada, historical) A member of the habitation colony at Stadacona founded by Samuel de Champlain, where Quebec City now lies.
- Although the term originates as legitimate to describe early French colonists and French Canadian farmers, it has now taken a strong pejorative aspect in Quebec French, and using it without an explicit location would be perceived as pejorative.
- “habitant” in le Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).