halfcourt (plural halfcourts)
- (basketball) The middle of the court, at and near the center line
2007 January 30, Pete Thamel, “A Star Player, a Video and a Suspension”, New York Times:
- The second technical was called after Mayo walked back toward the players gathered at halfcourt.
- (basketball) A basketball court that is half the size of a normal court
1990, July 4, “Linda Young”[Chicago Tribune], 3-on-3 offers hot aftertaste, page 3:
- Count 'em, 150 basketball courts, actually halfcourts, will line Columbus Drive July 27-28 for the Bulls' second annual Shoot-the-Bull Three-on-Three Roundball Classic.
- (basketball) A shot taken from the middle of the court
1999, January 24, “Michael Arace”[Hartford Courant], NO. 1 UCONN 62, SETON HALL 47, page E3:
- There was lots of weird stuff going on with zones and matchups and presses and fastbreaks and ball-deflating halfcourts, but UConn won with defense.