- Having the quality of being impelling.
- an impellent force
- 1827, John Farey, A Treatise on the Steam Engine Historical, Practical, and Descriptive, page 181:
- Hence, the excess of impellent force which was given to the piston, beyond what was absolutely requisite to overcome the resistances to its motion, was made available to prolong that motion, beyond the point at which the impellent force […]
impellent (plural impellents)
- An impelling power or force.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Glanvill to this entry?)
An impelling power or force.