incommensuration (plural incommensurations)
- The quality or state of being incommensurate or contradictory.
- (minerology) A crystal structure where natural translation distances are incommensurate with each other.
- (physics) Incommensurate peaks in the spin fluctuation spectrum.
- 1997 November 21, Sudip Chakravarty, “CONDENSED MATTER PHYSICS: Enhanced: Quantum Magnetism and Its Many Avatars”, in Science, volume 278, number 5342, DOI:10.1126/science.278.5342.1412, pages 1412-1413:
- To see how striking this incommensuration is, I plotted (see figure) the real part of the plane wave with Q = ( p [1- d ]/a, p /a), for a = 3.8 Å, with smooth interpolation between the lattice points.