- Almost every imaginable spelling variant is attested, including forms with "l" in the first part, like killikinick. Most variations are very rare; the only common forms are kinnikinnick (the most common form since 1930), kinnikinnik, kinnikinnic, kinikinik (popular around 1860), kinnickinick, kinnickinnick, kinnikinic, kinnikinick (popular from 1900 to 1930), kinnikinik; killikinick, killikinnick; k'nick-k'neck.
rare alternative forms
- A mixture of bark, dried leaves, and often berries and/or tobacco, which is smoked.
- Any of the plants whose berries, leaves or bark used in this mixture.
- He ate kinnikinnick berries.
- (plant): bearberry (Arctostaphylos), red osier dogwood (Cornus sericea), silky cornel (Cornus amomum), Canadian bunchberry (Cornus canadensis), evergreen sumac (Rhus virens), littleleaf sumac (Rhus microphylla).