- (soccer) A mistimed attempt to take the ball of an opposing player that results in the tackler making contact with the player and not the ball
- 2011 November 11, Rory Houston, “Estonia 0-4 Republic of Ireland”, in RTE Sport:
- Stepanov was then booked for a late tackle on Andrews and that would late prove very costly.
- 2011 September 18, Phil McNulty, “Man Utd 3 - 1 Chelsea”, in BBC Sport:
- Javier Hernandez's attempts to turn in the rebound were foiled by Ashley Cole's reckless late tackle - which left the England defender fortunate to receive only a yellow card from referee Phil Dowd and United puzzled that they were not awarded a second penalty.