little black dress
- A simply cut and often quite short evening or cocktail dress.
- 2012, Rebecca Apsan, Lessons in Lingerie: Finding Your Perfect Shade of Seduction:
- When dressing up for a night out, let's not forget the sex appeal, allure, and slenderizing effect of ultrasheer black hosiery under that little black dress.
- (figuratively) Something simple, versatile, and elegant; something that pairs well with many other things.
- 2014 August 1, Sarah Hazelwood, “5 of the Best…Fruits and Vegetables to grow this August”, in Buzz, page 27:
- Who, excepting fictional fanged creatures of the night, doesn't love a bit of garlic? It goes in anything and is like the little black dress of the food world.
- 2014 August 10, Karen Crouse, “After Tuneup for Trials, American Swimmers Evaluate Potential”, in The New York Times:
- While Phelps might have been the headliner, Ledecky became the little black dress of American swimming; unpretentious, regal and ridiculously versatile.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:little black dress.
- Synonym: LBD
woman's short black dress