made of sterner stuff
- (idiomatic) strong and determined (especially more so than someone else, to whom one is being compared).
2011 September 18, Ben Dirs, “Rugby World Cup 2011: England 41-10 Georgia”, BBC Sport:
- When Hape sauntered over for a try after only three minutes it looked as if England were destined for a comfortable victory, but Georgia are made of sterner stuff, as they showed when running Scotland close in Invercargill last week.
- 1933, Barnaby Ross, Drury Lane's Last Case, March 1946 republication as by Ellery Queen, Little, Brown, page 45:
- […] sign hung from the bronze knob, and it stated without equivocation that the Britannic Museum was "closed for repairs."
- But the Inspector was made of stern stuff. He closed his right hand and with the resulting fist pounded formidably on the bronze.
- […] out popped the gargoylish head of a bulb-nosed old man.
- "Hey!" snapped this apparition. "Can't you read English?"
- "One side, brother," said the Inspector cheerfully. "We're in a hurry."
- The doorman did not budge […]