- (US) A pencil with a replaceable and mechanically extendable lead that wears away with use, designed to provide lines of constant thickness without requiring sharpening, and typically featuring a small eraser at the end opposite the tip.
- (UK) retractable pencil, propelling pencil
- (Australian) pacer
- clutch pencil (Indian English)
- lead pencil (Bangladeshi English)
- automatic pencil, drafting pencil, technical pencil
- click pencil, leadholder, pen pencil, spacer.
pencil with a retractable lead