- an unimportant or insignificant person
- 1834, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Francesca Carrara, volume 3, pages 201-202:
- The Queen Mother detests, but she dreads me—my uncle is indifferent, but finds me of use—our new Queen is already a nonentity—and Louis knows that my house is the most agreeable in Paris.
- (uncountable): the state of not existing; nonexistence
- 1831, Letitia Elizabeth Landon, Romance and Reality, volume 3, page 201:
- New objects, new amusements, will occupy her mind; and unhappiness, equally unsuspected and unspoken, will die of its own nonentity.
- See also Thesaurus:nonentity
an unimportant or insignificant person
nonexistence — see nonexistence