entity (plural entities)
- That which has a distinct existence as an individual unit. Often used for organisations which have no physical form.
- 1992, Rudolf M[athias] Schuster, The Hepaticae and Anthocerotae of North America: East of the Hundredth Meridian, volume V, New York, N.Y.: Columbia University Press, →ISBN, page ix:
- It is also pertinent to note that the current obvious decline in work on holarctic hepatics most surely reflects a current obsession with cataloging and with nomenclature of the organisms—as divorced from their study as living entities.
- The existence of something considered apart from its properties.
- (databases) Anything about which information or data can be stored in a database; in particular, an organised array or set of individual elements or parts.
- The state or quality of being or existence.
- The group successfully maintains its tribal entity.
- A spirit, ghost, or the like.
- 1936, Rollo Ahmed, The Black Art, London: Long, page 231:
- [B]ut only too often séances degenerate into pure sorcery or necromancy, attracting all kinds of undeveloped and earth-bound entities.
- (science fiction) An alien lifeform that has no corporeal body.
- See also Thesaurus:entity
Derived terms Edit
- legal entity
- single entity
- separate entity
- political entity
- public entity
- governmental entity
- corporate entity
- independent entity
- foreign entity
- unknown entity
- evil entity
that which exists as an individual unit
something that has properties of being real
computing: anything about which data can be stored
state or quality of existence
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
Translations to be checked
See also Edit
Further reading Edit
- entity on Wikipedia.Wikipedia
- entity at OneLook Dictionary Search
- “entity”, in Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: Merriam-Webster, 1996–present.
- “entity” (US) / “entity” (UK) in Macmillan English Dictionary.
- “entity”, in Oxford Learner's Dictionaries
- “entity” in the Cambridge English Dictionary, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.