From Middle English outseken, equivalent to out- + seek. Cognate with Dutch uitzoeken (“to pick, sort out, investigate”), German aussuchen (“to choose, select, pick out”).
outseek (third-person singular simple present outseeks, present participle outseeking, simple past and past participle outsought)
- (transitive) To seek out; actively or diligently search for; investigate; research.
- 1912, Classical Association (Great Britain), The Classical review: Volume 26:
- […] Who thro' mist and darkness still the truth outsought; […]
- 1987, Building a selling culture:
- […] a selling bank — one that is outseeking and outreaching, one that goes after customers as contrasted with waiting on them.