From Middle English outstanden, utstanden, equivalent to out- + stand. Cognate with Saterland Frisian uutstounde (“to bear, tolerate”), Dutch uitstaan (“to abide, suffer, dree”), German ausstehen (“to stand, endure, abide”), Swedish utstå (“to suffer, endure, pass through”).
- (transitive) To resist effectually; withstand; sustain without yielding.
- (transitive) To surpass in standing; stand or remain beyond; outstay.
- (intransitive) To project outward from the main body; stand out prominently; be prominent.
- (intransitive) To stand out to sea.
- (intransitive) To remain over; remain untouched, unimpaired, unsettled, uncollected, unpaid, or otherwise undetermined.
- outstanding contracts
- (to be prominent): See also Thesaurus:stand out