See also: phone book
phonebook (plural phonebooks)
- A directory of all the phone numbers used in a district.
- 2007 June 13, Virginia Heffernan, “Doing the People's Business, in All Its Somnolent Glory”, in New York Times:
- One even proposes, in a workaday monotone, that the first hundred people in any Idaho phonebook could do just as well as the legislators at making decisions in the capital.
- (by extension) A large lookup table.
- 2007 July 9, John Markoff, “Fixing Typos by Web Users, Without Raising Hackles”, in New York Times:
- He does this by using the Domain Name System, or DNS, which is the phonebook for the Internet.
telephone directory — see telephone directory
large lookup table