See also: red-card
- (sports) A card displayed by the referee when a player is sent off for a serious infringement of the rules.
- In the 1994 Soccer World Cup, Argentine soccer player Diego Maradona was given a red card for striking a US soccer player Tab Ramos.
2010 December 29, Mark Vesty, “Wigan 2 - 2 Arsenal”, in BBC:
- An off the ball incident led to N'Zogbia confronting Wilshere before leaning his head into the Englishman and giving referee Lee Probert no choice but to show the red card.
- (colloquial) Any official instructions to vacate an area.
- I hoped to park in the members' area but the attendant showed me the red card.