- (Portugal) IPA(key): /sɨ.kɾɨ.ˈta.ɾju/
- (Brazil) IPA(key): /se.kɾe.ˈta.ɾju/, /se.kɾe.ˈta.ɾi.u/
- Hyphenation: se‧cre‧tá‧ri‧o
- secretary (a person keeping records and handling clerical work)
- secretary (head of a department of government)
Probably so named because its crest of long feathers resembles quill pens stuck behind the ears of an office clerk; alternatively, possibly from Arabic صَقْر اَلطَّائِر (ṣaqr aṭ-ṭāʾir, “hunter bird”), from صَقْر (ṣaqr, “falcon, hawk”) طَائِر (ṭāʾir, “bird”); see secretary bird.
secretário m (plural secretários)