soft palate (plural soft palates)
- (anatomy) The soft tissue at the back of the roof of the mouth.
- Synonyms: velum, muscular palate
- Coordinate term: hard palate
- 1754, Bernhard Siegfried, The Explanation of Albinus's Anatomical Figures of the Human Skeleton and Muscles:
- The part which is connected by a thin tendinous end to the tendinous membrane, that is extended above upon the soft palate, coming from the nostrils; and with that membrane seems to be inserted into the middle and posterior edge of the palate bones.
- soft palate on Wikipedia.Wikipedia