sputcheon (plural sputcheons)
- metal lining of a scabbard's mouth
- 1852, Burn, Robert, A naval and military technical dictionary of the French language, 2nd edition, London: John Murray, keyword BATTE, page 37:
- — de la cuvette, sputcheon of the mouth-piece of a sword-scabbard, or that part which retains the wooden scabbard.
- 1886 June 3, “Swords and Sword Making at Solingen, Germany”, in The American Engineer, volume 11, number 22, page 223:
- They are as follows: The manufacture of the blade, 32 operations; scabbard, 30; scabbard mouthpiece with sputcheon, 32 […]
- 2005, Chrisomalis, Stephen, “Lost Words: S-Z”, in The Phrontistery, retrieved 2011-12-14:
- The blade rang against the sputcheon as he drew it, eliminating the element of surprise.