Alternative forms edit
- (Northern Vietnam, inland dialects) giăng
- (Northern Vietnam, coastal dialects, likely obsolete) lăng
- (Northern Vietnam, coastal dialects, endangered) tăng
The Northern Middle Vietnamese form is attested as blang in Dictionarium Annamiticum Lusitanum et Latinum (1651).
Most likely a false cognate of Proto-Austronesian *bulaN (“moon”) (whence Malay bulan, Javanese wulan, Tagalog buan and Malagasy volana) and Proto-Tai *ɓlɯənᴬ (“moon”) (whence Thai เดือน (dʉʉan), Saek เบรี๋ยน, Zhuang ndwen), see more at the entry *b-laŋ.
- (Hà Nội) IPA(key): [t͡ɕaŋ˧˧]
- (Huế) IPA(key): [ʈaŋ˧˧]
- (Hồ Chí Minh City) IPA(key): [ʈaŋ˧˧]
Audio (Hồ Chí Minh City) (file)