- Not hopeful.
- 1897, R.W. Church, Occasional Papers:
- As a young man, his was a severe and unhopeful mind, and the tendency to despond was increased by circumstances.
- 1904, Various, Memories of Jane Cunningham Croly, "Jenny June":
- His pessimistic and unhopeful temperament was doubtless due to inherent and hereditary bodily weakness, and to the lack of muscular cultivation in his youth, which might have modified inherent tendencies.
unhopeful (plural unhopefuls)
- Somebody who is unlikely to achieve success or victory.