Audio (AU) (file)
- (transitive, idiomatic) To persuade someone, gain someone's support, or make someone understand the truth or validity of something.
- If the truth doesn't win him over, perhaps charm will.
- 2012 April 22, Sam Sheringham, “Liverpool 0-1 West Brom”, in BBC Sport:
- Despite his ill-fated spell at Anfield, he received a warm reception from the same Liverpool fans he struggled to win over before being sacked midway through last season.
- 2021 July 14, Anthony Lambert, “Grand designs on superior interiors”, in RAIL, number 935, page 49:
- For trains to play a major role in reducing carbon and other pollutants through modal shift, the railway will have to do more to win over the growing proportion of non-captive passengers who will have the choice of whether or not to use rail over other modes.
to persuade — see persuade