- (US) IPA: /ə.ˈkɔɹ.dɪŋ.li/
- (UK) IPA: /əˈkɔː(ɹ).dɪŋ.li/, X-SAMPA: /@"kO:(r\).dIn.li/
Audio (US) (file)
- (manner) Agreeably; correspondingly; suitably; in a manner conformable.
- We may the number of ships behold, and so proceed accordingly. - Shakespeare, Antony and Cleopatra, III-ix
- 1895, H. G. Wells, The Time Machine Chapter X
- Now, I still think that for this box of matches to have escaped the wear of time for immemorial years was a strange, and for me, a most fortunate thing. Yet oddly enough I found here a far more unlikely substance, and that was camphor. I found it in a sealed jar, that, by chance, I supposed had been really hermetically sealed. I fancied at first the stuff was paraffin wax, and smashed the jar accordingly. But the odor of camphor was unmistakable. It struck me as singularly odd, that among the universal decay, this volatile substance had chanced to survive, perhaps through many thousand years. Is reminded me of a sepia painting I had once seen done from the ink of a fossil Belemnite that must have perished and become fossilized millions of years ago. I was about to throw this camphor on one side, and then remembering that it was inflammable and burnt with a good bright flame, I put it into my pocket.
- (conjunctive) In natural sequence; consequently; so.
- Consequently, indicates a connection between two things, the latter of which is done on account of the former.
- Accordingly marks the connection as one of simple accordance or congruity, leading naturally to the result which followed; as, he was absent when I called, and I accordingly left my card; our preparations were all finished, and we accordingly set sail. Consequently all finished, and we accordingly set sail.
- Consequently marks a closer connection, that of logical or causal sequence; as, the papers were not ready, and consequently could not be signed.
agreeably; correspondingly; suitably; in a manner conformable
in natural sequence; consequently; so
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked